For Spring 2017, I am a Research Assistant to Carson Schütze.
I (usually) work on syntax and its interfaces with semantics.
Current projectsParticipant switching verb-phrase ellipsis with symmetrical predicates
- John wanted to dance with Mary; but Mary didn’t want to
dance with John.
- Our John came for tea yesterday.
- According to Alex-1, Ed-2 thought The Post’s photo of themselves-1+2 would make the TV news.
- * Speaking of Nathan-1, Adam-2 knew that the gallery's portrait of themselves-1+2 would sell well.
- The box with the papers in. - N.B. no it!
- háwak → wákha, 'grasp/grip', N
- hawák-an → kanháwak, 'take hold of something', V
Selected downloadable papers
For a full list, see my CV.
2017. Emergence of the faithful by consonant copying in a Tagalog language game. Talk at AFLA 24. (handout)
2017. Possessive preproprial determiners in North-West British English. Talk at BLS 43. (handout)
2016. VP ellipsis with symmetrical predicates. Talk at NELS 47. (handout)
2015. Emergent syntax – insights from imperatives. MPhil thesis. University of Cambridge. (pdf)
rstockwell15 AT ucla DOT edu
Department of Linguistics
3125 Campbell Hall